Monday, April 6, 2015

Letter to Erin 20150407

In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most Merciful.

Hello Dahlink.  How are you feeling today?  How's my Rock and Roll Babe?  It's hot again today.  Ugh.  Just like yesterday.  It rained at sunset yesterday, so I suppose it will rain again today.  The humidity makes the heat miserable, and weakens the AC.  Thank God for AC!  I don't like hot weather, and I loathed the desert when I lived there.  What I miss is the Salt Lake City mountains, and its distinct 4 seasons.  But I love the kampung, I love it right after the rain stops, and I love the seafood here.  Alhamdulillah.

So I went to the market first thing in the morning today.  My front tire went flat about a mile out, so I had to turn back and take my Dad's motorcycle.  I bought a kilo of tomatoes.  There were some large snapper there today, but I really didn't feel like scaling fish, and you need a pair of pliers with the big snapper.  So the catch of the day is... tuna!  Specifically, short tailed tuna, or known locally as Tongol.  There was a small mountain of tuna today, and dirt cheap too, probably because there were so many.  RM3 a kilo.  That's cheaper than mackerel by about 60%, so I bought a big fish over 2 kilos.  It's the type of tuna that they use in the budget cans in your air conditioned supermarket.  It's not as tasty as yellowfin tuna (I've never had bluefin), in fact I don't like it for sushi at all.  Tastes watery on the unpalatable side.  But I'm guessing it will make great fish and chips, and fish broth.  And no scales!  There was so much meat left over after I processed it, so my cats had the motherlode of snacks.  Mondo snackipoo-o!

Bob Cat's eye seems a lot better today, so I didn't take him to the vet.  The swelling has gone down, and he can almost open it all the way.  And that bald patch between his shoulders... I'm certain that's a battle scar made bigger by scratching.  There's some hair growth happening.  I hope it's not a blood disease.  Feline leukemia is incurable and highly contagious.  Ya Allah, please heal and protect all my kitties.

So are you and your friends coming over for dinner?  Or are you just sailing?  For dinner was sausage and fresh tomatoes in marinara sauce, served with deep fried bread.  I would love to see you.  I love you, and I need you.

No comments: