Thursday, July 14, 2011

Letter to Julia 20110715

No, it is not my intention to push the envelope when it comes to Islam. I'm just trying to get by the best I can until Judgement Day. I'm not creating a new following, or any new teachings. Rather, I'm a follower, not a leader. My leader is prophet Muhammad (peace be on him), and my "ambition" as a Muslim is to master the Qur'an, in action as well as verse. I'm not trying to write any new religious books, or gain any sort of name/rank as a scholar. I'm a musician.

And an old one, at that. I still can't get to the point where I can play the drums everyday, even when I had my own set I wasn't able to do that. Now my fingers hurt from playing the drums yesterday. I'm not the competitive type either. I avoid music contests like I avoid parties. I just want to please Allah with music, and to create music that I can listen to without cringing. It's not easy!

As for you, I want to be your mate, and to watch over you as we work. It's fine with me if I follow you around while I do my work, but sometimes you may have to follow me around. Then, we will place much pressure on our children if we stay in motion. Please think about that. I understand that all this Islam is a trial for you, but it is also a blessing. Just do the best you can with what Allah gives you. Peace, and blessings of Allah be upon you. Assalamu'alaikum.

No comments: