Sunday, February 8, 2009

The story of Cain and Abel

In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most merciful.

Jealousy. Everyone feels it. An emotion, and a motivator. It motivates to destroy. It is the stuff of much murder, and war. It knows no age limit: a waitress once related to me of how her 2 small boys get jealous of each other, and hurt each other. It is mentioned repeatedly in the Qur'an, as a source of strife. It is a common tool used by Satan to get humans to destroy each other.

The jealous one thinks, "I don't know, I just feel jealous. Why should he get all the good things? I don't think it's fair. I'm just as good as, or better, than him. That's just the way I feel. I can't change the way I feel. I can't help it, so fuck you."

The way to quell jealousy is to be grateful with what God gives you. Sure, it's not easy... life isn't supposed to be easy. Of course, if you have no faith, you can just be enslaved to your jealousy, and the only way to deal with you is in a military fashion. If you do have faith, it means that you are not grateful for what God has given you. And if you can't get rid of the feeling, that just means that you never have been, and never will be grateful for what God gives you.

Cain and Abel were the 2 sons of Adam. They both presented a sacrifice to Allah, but Allah only accepted one. The one that was accepted was the one from Abel, the younger brother. Cain said to Abel, "I will kill you." Abel replied, "Surely, Allah does accept the sacrifice of those who are righteous." Cain's sacrifice was not accepted because he wasn't righteous!

Furthermore, Abel said to Cain, "If you do use your hands to kill me, I will not use my hands to kill you, because I fear Allah, the Cherisher of the worlds. For me, I intend for you take my sins as well as your own, for you will be among the companions of the fire, and that is the reward of those who do wrong."

Since Cain had no faith to begin with, he went ahead and murdered his own brother, and left the body in the open to rot. Then Allah sent a raven (a raven is bigger than a crow), or a crow, and the bird scraped the ground around the body to show Cain how to bury it. Cain said, "Woe is me! Was I not even able to be as this raven, and hide the shame of my brother?"

Only then, did he feel regret.

In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most Merciful.

1. Say, "I seek refuge with the Lord of the Dawn,
2. From the mischief of created things,
3. From the mischief of darkness, as it overspreads,
4. From the mischief of those who practise secret arts,
5. And from the mischief of the envious one as he practises envy."

The Daybreak 113:1-5
--------------------------------------------------------

No comments: