Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Old Bond

Hi Honey!  How are you?  How's work?  It's football season right now, so I assume you are busy.  I mean the football-you-play-with-your-feet football.  I suppose it's not the usual football you have to deal with, but since you are a sports fan and Sports Princess, I would expect your bosses would want you to get involved with it in some way, seeing that it is a multi-billion dollar industry, and you have gone global as Mrs. Global.  I'm sorry Honey, I'm not a football fan.  I have absolutely no interest in watching a bunch of guys running around on a field chasing after a ball, and I don't really understand why other men show such fascination for it.  That's why you are the pro in that area.

Hey Natty Honey!  How's your exciting life today?  The computer wants you to watch another James Bond movie.  "Never Say Never Again" (1983).  This was Sean Connery's last appearance as 007, and he made it when he was, well, my age.  It's also a curiously independent movie out from a franchise, I wonder how they were able to release it.  Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:

It is the second adaptation of Fleming's Thunderball,[2] which was previously adapted as the 1965 film of the same name. Unlike the majority of James Bond films, Never Say Never Again was not produced by Eon Productions, but by an independent production company, one of whose members was Kevin McClory, one of the original writers of the Thunderball story, who retained the filming rights of the novel following a legal dispute over them.

Wow.  We'll probably never see a situation like that again.  Never?  Movie franchises rule the business nowadays.  Franchising is so ingrained into the consumer, that any successful independent movie is likely to become a franchise in itself.  Sean Connery managed to break out of the Bond typecast, but no one will deny that it was Bond that made Sean Connery a superstar.


No comments: