Friday, November 8, 2019

The flat file

Hi Natty!  How are you feeling, my darling?  How's your tummy?  I imagine that stepping up would make you a little more nervous than your usual nervous self.  Don't worry, my love!  Everything will be OK, inshaAllah.  Go ahead and eat a big old chunk of grilled chicken breast.  Just the chicken, and make sure you are full.  That should help calm you down.

Yeah, I've processed more chicken nowadays than I ever had to at the restaurant.  Well, the chicken came already processed.  Cutting chicken really dulls a knife, there's just something about it that no knife is sharp enough.  I believe it's the same for all meat.  I've worked with enough knives, cheap and expensive, to know that they all have one thing in common: nothing is as sharp as a brand new knife.  So I tried my best to sharpen my knives the traditional way with traditional sharpeners and straighteners, but it was never good enough.  Then I got sick of it, and decided to just forcibly grind an edge into the knife with a flat file.  Why should I get sentimental about cheap knives?  The flat file is now my best friend in the kitchen.  All my knives are now super efficient.  Professional knife sharpeners may frown at me, but I don't care anymore.  If I whittle the knife down to metal dust, I'll just get another cheap knife.  The people who process chicken may also share my mentality.  You probably might find metal dust in your chicken.
















No comments: