Thursday, February 7, 2019

Just for the record

Hi Natty!  How are you, my precious?  Still not ready?  I'm not ready either.  I try my best to keep somewhat of a routine, but the only real routine is trying to adapt to chaos.  Rock and roll is a crazy life!  Good thing I don't travel.  Alhamdulillah.  Don't worry, my dearest.  You're going to do just fine, Natty.  InshaAllah.

I want to put down something, to keep a record of what happened today, for my own nostalgia, I don't care if any of you people out there believe it or don't.  I was going over a new song to sing, "Someday We'll All Be Free" by Donny Hathaway.  Beautiful song.  It sure sounds as if he were talking about Judgement Day.  As far as I recall, Donny Hathaway was a soul singer during the 1970s who became insane then apparently committed suicide by jumping out of the window of his 15th floor hotel room in 1979.  Anyway, the song was starting up again and I was about to sing it.  At the beginning of the song, Donny does these remarkable and intricate runs on the electric piano or synth or whatever it was, when 2 birds came up to my window and started singing along with his piano.  They followed his complex and fast runs note for note!  It occurred to me that they know this song!  I recall a story when Donny was living in a high rise in Chicago, and got into trouble with his neighbors for going out on the balcony and singing to the birds.  Donny Hathaway was a great loss.  😢











No comments: