Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Letter to Erin 20151014

In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most Merciful.

I don't know why it takes me so long to process seafood.  Probably because my sink is so small with no work space whatever- it's just one of those hand sinks.  It's not meant to wash dishes or process food.  I had to break the pipe outside so the water flows onto the ground, and not clog the pipe.  Oh don't worry, I'm cautious with water inshaAllah.  Anyway, I had to process the sole I bought last night, but they all fit into the sink.  I have to process the big fish outside.  Anyway again, it's black sole, if you happen to want to try this for yourself.  Makes a big difference from other flatfish, because it's the easiest to work with!  It also tastes great raw.  It has large scales, so I had to scale both sides.  The skin can be peeled off, so make sure you start at the mouth.  Save the skin!  There's not much for gills and guts, but it's still a little bit of work.  You get 2 fillets with a small flatfish like black sole: top and bottom.  Trim off the side fins, and save them along with the skin!  The skin at the bottom can't be peeled off, so if you eat that part raw then expect it to be chewy.

After I filleted the fish, I marinated the skins and fins and also the bones and heads in soy sauce then deep fried them.  The skins and fins taste great when crispy.  I could have put them on my hand rolled sushi, but I wolfed them down quickly.  Tastes like crackers.  There's still meat on the bones, so I separated that after frying and used them for my noodles at lunch.  I gave the heads to the cats, but those and the bones taste great as a crispy fry too.  So sole tastes great raw.  So I made hand rolled sushi. Very filling.  What is it about hand rolled sushi that's so filling?  I use the same amount of rice and more stuff when I roll sushi with seaweed sheets.  Want some?  I'm going to use the bottom fillets for fish and chips.

Erin I love you, and I need you.

No comments: