Thursday, June 11, 2015

Letter to Erin 20150612


In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most Merciful.

Gag!  Seafood stinks.  Even when you buy it fresh and you smell it and there's no smell, when you open up the guts, it reeks.  It's because of all the things they eat, and ferments in the stomach.  Crabs and shellfish don't smell so bad.  Big fish is generally easier to deal with, because you can pull out the guts easier.  But squid?  There's no other way but to rip and shred out the guts, especially if you want to save the liver and the eggs.  And the ink sac- for something so small, it makes a huge, black mess.  Cuttlefish is stinkier than regular squid, but it has more meat.  The squid family is mostly made out of water, so it shrinks like mad.  Today cuttlefish was on sale, so I had to process that today.  I still have the scent on my fingers 3 hours later, after doing gardening, after driving around looking for cooking gas, after taking a shower.  the good thing is that the cats hate the smell of squid, and they totally leave me alone.  You wanna gut these cuttlefish?  Oh, I have to do it?  AND do the house cleaning?

I didn't want to go to the market this morning, but I had to waste some time before the stores opened so I could buy a new regulator.  SO I got the cuttlefish, some tofu, and some won tons.  So for dinner, it's going to be fried won tons.  The won ton skins are small though, so it's going to be a pain to shape them.  I think I'll blend the stuffing today.  The blend turned out really tasty, but the won tons were too small and tedious.  The best approach was to spread the paste on then fold it over, but frying it up created a lot of splatter.  Tasty, though.  Want some?

I must say it's already getting weird (er than usual), and it's even Ramadan yet.  Well, alhamdulillah.  You take sweet care of yourself, Sweetie.  I love you, and I need you.


No comments: